Thursday, April 10, 2014

My First Sick Visit

I've had this sore mouth for days! I've had a rash on my collar bone and neck for a few days too. I finally decided this morning I'd had enough and called my Dr. They don't like rashes or sore mouths and said both require a visit to the Dr. They were able to get me in early this afternoon. I saw a Physicians assistant and really liked him. They weighed me first and it looks like I've lost 8 pound since March 14th. But now that I have my appetite back I'm sure I won't have a problem gaining it back :)
My sore mouth is a product of having a white blood cell count. This will go away when my count begins to go back up. In the meanwhile I have a mouth rinse I can use that numbs my tongue and cheeks. If you ever want to try something nasty you should try this concoction: 1 part liquid Benadryl (wild cherry flavor!) and 1 part liquid Mylanta (mild mint flavor). Sounds pretty delicious doesn't it? Swish around your mouth for 1-2 minutes and then spit out. This is guaranteed to gag you! I promise!
The rash is caused by an allergic reaction to the Taxotere drug in the chemo. Some people get it, some people don't. I did :) I may or may not have a reaction at further chemo appointments. Only time will tell.
To treat the rash I am on a low dose of steroid (similar to prednisone. LUCKY me!) I'll take them for 6 days, tapering off each day.
Now on to some great news! I have a huge appetite! Most everything sounds good! So, like I said earlier I may be gaining back that weight I lost.

Love you all!

No comments: