Monday, May 5, 2014

Nadir Appointment #2

Today was my nadir appointment. It was a great pleasure to have my Aunt Pam (My Mom's sister) be my support and extra ears for this appointment. She lives in Washington state and it just worked out she was in town. I really enjoy my time with her, and I love how much she reminds me of my Mom.
Back to my appointment...
The wait to be called back for the port access was extra long today. I think we ended up waiting about 35 minutes. They checked my weight first; I gained 3 pounds, which isn't a big surprise because I wasn't as sick after this last chemo (and I ate a ton of food this past weekend!!). My blood work came back with my White blood count being a 6. They want me to be between 4-10. My platelets were low, which means bleeding can be a problem. I was aware of this already as I've had quite a few bloody noses. I have also been experiencing a period that just won't end. My red blood count was 119,000. The low end of normal is 140,000. So I'm lower than the low. I could tell my red blood count was down as I've felt really tired and have been taking naps almost daily. They expect my red blood count to continue on a down hill trend, which means I'll be more tired after each treatment. If my count gets as low as 30,000 then they'll intervene and do a blood transfusion. I assume I can continue receiving normal chemo treatments until it reaches that point, but I didn't ask to make sure.
As for the period that isn't ending if it continues until Friday then I need to call in and they'll have me see an ob/gyn to see about getting help to have it stopped. For the bloody noses they want me to continue doing what I have been doing- putting Vaseline in my nose and using a humidifier at night. If I have a bloody nose that I can't get to stop then I need to call in and be seen.
After my appointment my Aunt and I went out and celebrated Cinco de Mayo by having Mexican food for lunch.

My next chemo appointment is May 15th at 8:30am. I hope I continue to gain my strength and energy in time for them to knock me down again :)

I love you all!

No comments: