Thursday, May 29, 2014

Nadir Appointment #3

Why am I oinking like a pig? Could it be because I gained 5 pounds since my last chemo? Or could it be because I found out today that I am a guinea pig at my cancer treatment center? The answer is yes to the later, but I really did gain 5 pounds. The doctor I saw today told me that I am the first person that they have tried 'my' chemo cocktail on. Most people with breast cancer have surgery FIRST and then chemo, which would be TC chemo (taxotere and carboplatin). The cocktail I'm receiving is TCHP. My cocktail includes herceptin and perjeta. Herceptin is a hormone blocking chemo and the perjeta is like a super charger that help the herceptin do its job better. Up until Dec 2013 this was only given to those who's cancer had matacisized. But they discovered it would work well on shrinking large cancerous tumors that were spreading fast too. My tumor was the size of a lime and had already spread to my lymph nodes. My doctor decided I would be the first patient at their clinic to try this new concoction. Three weeks after my 1st chemo the tumor was GONE! They are very pleased with how well it's working. They love that my body is handling it so well too. The goal with this new type of chemo is to shrink the tumor and kill as much of the cancer BEFORE surgery so that when surgery does happen there are fewer cancer cells left behind. And then any cancer cells that may be left behind will get a nice 6 week dose of radiation EVERY weekday. Sounds to me like I win and cancer loses! At the end of my TCHP chemo I will continue having H (herceptin) chemo every 3 weeks until March of next year. That hormone chemo will not make me sick and each treatment will last 30 minutes.

My port access today was more painful than I remember. My port site hurt for a good hour after my blood draw. Not sure why that was the case, but I'm just glad it's over.
My white blood count is down to a 3, between 4-10 in normal. I'm at an increased change of infection so I need to be careful. The doctor mentioned that when the white count is low I have a greater change of mouth sores, but so far my mouth has not been as bad as past chemo's. Having a low white count can also effect my gut, so we discussed adding a pro-biotic pill or yogurt to my daily routine.
My platelets were good. They were at 135 and I believe the low end of normal is 140, so I'm just a little low.
My red blood cells (hgt) were at their lowest too. They're at a 32 and normal is between 38-48.

Please check the calendar and see if there is anything you can do. I know there isn't a whole lot on there right now but there are some attention dates with my kids and I think 1 more dinner.

I'm thinking of changing up how I send out my journal updates and calendar items. I can't tell if this blog is reaching as many people as I had hoped for. And, now that I've used this blog I'm not sure it's everything I had hoped for. My idea is to send out an email when I have a new journal update or calendar item to those people who's emails I already have viewing this blog. I'm working out the logistics of how to make that work so until then keep checking here for updates and calendar items. Leave me a comment if you love this blog or have any suggestions. I'd really love feedback!

Could you all do me a favor after you read this entry by clicking on the heart so I know who has seen this?

My next chemo is on Thursday next week at 8:30am. My kids last day of school is Friday next week. If you'd like to play with my kids that following week while I'm sick let me know. Comment below or call me and we can arrange a play day if you are interested.

Thank you for being a part of my journey. Thank you for continuing to love and strengthen me. I have the best support group of friends and family! I love you all!

No comments: