Monday, April 27, 2015

I'm a Roofer!

I woke up Saturday and it felt like I had a spider bite on my neck. I showed it to Dave and he agreed that it looked like a spider bite. The morning was busy and we quickly rushed to be ready for basketball games (Dave and Brad), AP study class (Dallas) and a day of volunteering for me at a Stake activity. During the service activity I kept thinking that my spider bite sure hurt. A LOT! I figured it wouldn't do any good to complain about it, and lets face it, a spider bite is nothing compared to the pain I felt from my double mastectomy. If I was strong enough to handle the pain from the mastectomy I could surely handle the pain from this bite...or so I thought.
Sunday morning Dave woke up to get ready for Bishopric meeting and wasn't feeling well. He's been working so hard and without many days off, so it's no wonder. He ended up staying home from meetings to sleep and get feeling better before the new work week began. I tried not to complain about my neck while I got ready for a missionary homecoming, but I'm sure I told Dave more than a few time how much it was bothering me. During the homecoming talks I kept scratching at my neck and thinking how much this was getting worse. By the time I came home and picked up my kids to go to our ward I was feeling pretty irritated by anything! that touched my neck! Before sacrament I stopped in the library to make copies and ran into a nurse friend. I asked her if she thought my neck looked like a spider bite. She told me she thought it was shingles and that a visit to the instacare TODAY was a pretty good idea for me! So, with her suggestion I texted Dave and told him about this conversation. After church I was pretty grumpy and super aggitated. Everything was bugging my neck- the sweater I was wearing, my clothes rubbing, the air moving across my skin. After getting dinner started Dave took me to instacare. The doctor diagnosed the shingles, ordered some prescriptions and we were on our way. The doctor prescribed an anti-viral pill to help the virus run its course quicker and a cream to put on the rash to help soothe it. Picking up my prescriptions we learned that the cream was going to cost us about $150 for a little tube, so I opted to tough it out and not get it. I'm taking the anti-viral pill 5 TIMES a day! Thank goodness for alarms on my phone! I have to wake up at night to take my pills too, that part it lousy, but if it means this incessant pain goes away sooner, I'm all for it! As for the size of these pills they remind me of a small rodent! They're HUGE! They don't give huge pills to wimps do they? You'd have to be a pretty tough person to choke down this big pill. Tough people have hard jobs, like roofing. I can be a roofer! I can be tough! And when I'm done taking all these pills I may be left with no shingles, but I'll still be a tough roofer!

No comments: