I debated on whether or not to cancel my chemo for today as my surgery
was just 11 days ago. The thing that helped me make up my mind was the
fact that I'm tired already, and a chemo appointment wouldn't make it
worse. So, with my mind made up and a plan in place for a nap after
chemo I went to chemo. Today my chemo buddies were my good friend and
neighbor Sarah and my Aunt Pam.
I felt nothing during the port access
today!! Could be that the area where the port is numb as part of the
mastectomy or due to swelling from the surgery. I am hoping that it'll
be numb from here on out! The chemo room was quite full already. The
wait to see the doc to a while, which isn't unusual. This was my first
visit with my new doctor, Dr. Call. I was overall impressed with him,
his knowledge and how he explained things.
White Blood Count: 3, Low
Red Blood Count: 2.99, Low
HGB: 10.2, Low
Hematocrit: 29.6, Low (still feeling super tired so this didn't surprise me!)
Nutrafill: 1200, Low (the same as last time. Still need to be careful around germs and sick people)
*The
doctor asked if I had my pathology report back yet. I still have not
received the results. I did get a call from the Huntsman Center
yesterday letting me know they would call me with the results as soon as
they have them. Dr. Call said that the lack of the report will not
effect today's herceptin treatment. He will get a copy of the results
eventually. I will make sure I have Dr. Nelson send the report to Dr.
Call.
*I asked why chemo was done first instead of surgery, as doing
chemo first didn't change my surgery outcome. His expanasion was super
helpful! While chemo before surgery can change a mastectomy to a
lumpectomy, my reason for chemo first in my case was to kill any
microscopic cancer cells that may have spread outside of the breast and
lymph nodes; stopping cancer before it got into any vital organs. Dr.
Call is very pleased with the order in which things have been done and
feels good about how it'll turn out.
*I will continue having an echo
cardiogram every 3 months to make sure the herceptin isn't harming my
heart. Herceptin only affects 7% of women receiving this chemo agent. 90
% of women experience nothing. The 7% of women who have symptoms
usually have the symptoms reversed once the treatments stop. This is
why I will continue having an echo cardiogram every 3 months. The next
one will be in December.
*Radiation will begin once I get the green
light from my plastic surgeon. Some things that need to happen before
radiation are: having my (very unpleasant) drains removed!!, having my
expanders filled (OUCH!), and making sure the incision has healed. After
radiation Dr. Call will discuss with me the estrogen blocking tablet,
tamoxifen. Tomoxifen is used in per-menopausal women; there are other
estrogen blockers, but they are used in post-menopausal women. If I had
side effects that are too bothersome there are some shots they can try,
but they will have side effects too.
Today's treatment went by quickly, just long enough to enjoy visiting with my chemo buddies and my yummy sugar cookie.
After
my chemo I met my grandparents for lunch. Not a bad way to end a
treatment! I love how concerned my grandparents have been for me! They
are so wonderful and I love them!
To all of you, thank you for
the flowers, the text messages, love notes, phone calls, yummy meals and
treats! This has been a very hard week! OR TWO! I have felt your love
and concern for not only me but for Drea as she was hospitalized at the
beginning of the week! My family is forever grateful for you love and
prayers! We are truly blessed to know each one of you!
I love you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment