skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Nadir Appointment #4
Today's appointment went very smooth and was pretty quick! My
sister-in-law Cheri was by buddy for this appointment. She picked me up a
little early which was great because I had some insurance issues that I
needed to talk about with the Insurance lady at the Cancer center. I
was 15 minutes early and within 5 minutes they called me back to have my
port accessed. This port access was pretty smooth with very little
discomfort. The nurse had a difficult time getting my blood to flow
through the port and had to back flush it to get it working, but it was
no big deal and no pain on my part. (Thank goodness!)
My friend
Myrna was having her port accessed at the same time as me so we were
able to sit and visit while we waited. Her last chemo is on the same day
as my next chemo. I'm really excited to hear her ring the bell! I told
her not to ring it too hard because I want it to still be there for my
turn next month! :)
I didn't really have any new questions for the
Dr. so the meeting with him was fast. He was happy overall that I seem
to be handling the chemo treatments. At the start of my chemo it was
harder on me than it has been the past couple times.
My blood work results:
Red
blood count- 32. Normal is 38, this is the lowest I have been so far.
This means I'll get winded easier and feel more tired. (I was surprised
by this as I have been feeling pretty good. I haven't had to take naps,
but I do notice I get worn out quickly.)
White blood count- 6.6 Normal is between 4-10, so I'm right in the middle. A safe place to be.
Platelets- 151. Normal is between 120-420. Looks good, the Dr. was happy.
This
past chemo was probably the easiest one so far. Friday after chemo I
felt blah, but not sick. Saturday I felt pretty ok too. I helped Dave do
some yard work even. Sunday was a tough day, I felt AWFUL all day! This
Sunday was comparable to my 1st chemo Sunday. Monday was a good day.
Tuesday was a good day, I spent a few hours at the park, sitting in the
shade, with my kids, a sister-in-law, a couple of my cousins and my
Grandparents. I was thinking that Wednesday would be a good day too, but
it was not. Wednesday was the day my bowels had had enough of all those
chemo chemicals. Spent the day at home, close to the toilet. Felt wiped
out and tired most of the day. Thursday was better than Wednesday,
however I stayed close to home and the toilet again. Friday I was
finally confident enough to go out and have some fun with my kids. I
helped Bradley with a lawn mowing job and spent the evening at my Dad's
retirement party.
I am currently still feeling good. Each day I feel a
little stronger physically, but mentally I feel challenged. Chemo brain
is a hard thing to get used to. I forget things easily. My patients is
short. I have little energy or drive to be productive, and if you know
me you know how bizarre that is! My emotions have been a bit tender. I
get frustrated and cry easily about my limitations and upcoming events
in my journey. I think this is normal and nothing to be worried about.
Most people going through difficult things hit a wall and feel
discouraged, I think that's where I am. It's just a temporary stage.
These emotions are part of the journey to being a stronger, more
confidant person, at least that's what I'm telling myself.
The
other day I got a letter in the mail from a cousin. Totally out of the
blue, and totally unexpected. Those kind of acts bring more sunshine to
my day than anything! So if you find yourself looking for something to
do and feels like there's nothing to do, send me a note of
encouragement. Notes of encouragement and support are better than GOLD! I
save them and pull them out to read on hard days.
My next
appointment is for an echo cardiogram. I'll update you on that if
there's anything exciting to tell. I'm sure it will be an uneventful
appointment. My next chemo is June 26th. This will be my 5th and next to
last chemo. There is an end in sight, at least to the chemo part and
all the days that follow being sick. I'm looking forward to the not
being sick and I'm super looking forward to my hair growing back. Until
then, I need to remember to take baby steps! Nothing about this process
is fast or quick, it all takes time...
I love you all!
Christy
No comments:
Post a Comment