Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The day I tried to make cookies...

It started out as a great day! I had accomplished quite a bit and thought I'd make some yummy sugar cookies. I got the dough made and then while pre-heating the oven I started cleaning up the kitchen. I turned and looked at the oven and noticed the light was on, so I turned it 'off', or so I thought. I noticed again that the light didn't go off, so I tried again. I opened the oven to see why the light was on, only to notice my heating element looked like a sparkler going off! It was on fire!! Quickly I turned off the oven, but that didn't seem to help so I pulled the oven away from the wall and unplugged it! *phew!* Such a close call. Good thing I changed my Homeowners last week, right?!
I found a new replacement element and got the boys ready to go just as Bradley starts throwing up! I cleaned him up and put the boys in the van (w/ a throw up bucket, just in case) and off we went to pick up the new element. Bradley fell asleep on the car ride. The part was being held for me at the counter so I could be quicker going in and out so, I left Bradley in the car (go ahead and call the police on me!).
Bradley woke up just as we got home and was back to his usual self. He played and acted as if he hadn't even been sick?! So strange! I proceeded to install the new element by myself. It wasn't too hard, but it was a little tricky. Go me!


It's amazing what you find under your stove! I took advantage of having it pulled out and did a good deep cleaning. Under my stove may be the cleanest part of my kitchen floor, but only for a little while!:)


The old element and my best impression of how mad I was :)


I love a job that doesn't require lots of tools! These are the only ones I needed. Notice the element is broken, that's where the fire was.


Yesterday before Dave left for work I let him pick what dinner was going to be. He chose Chicken Pot Pie. So even though the day that started so great was turning into a not-so-great day, it ended as a fabulous day! We had a delicious dinner that was baked in a clean oven with a heat source that wasn't an open fire!

2 comments:

Cathi said...

You are such an amazing woman!! I love the faith you show in yourself, how you just believe you can handle the challenges that come your way. Then you make a few phone calls and go to work. And you succeed. This a great gift you've been blessed with! It's a confidence booster to have those successes, isn't it. I always loved that feeling.

And may I just say your culinary skills are also amazing! Look at the beauty of that pot pie!! I'll bet it was delicious! Did you ever get to finish the sugar cookies?

Nate and Robin said...

I'm glad to hear everything and everyone is still okay in your house. I can't believe Dallas didn't say anything that night. Then again she was a 'bit' worried, but she made it through.