Quick update of what's happened since my last email!
A huge thank you
to my family for putting together the Caramels for Christy night! I
loved being able to visit with each one of you that came. And I
especially loved all the hugs! For those of you who were there during
the sudden down pour of rain, wasn't that awesome?! I have a pretty
amazing family, on both sides, and I'm so thankful for all that they do
to support me and help me out!
My surgery date is still tentative.
The reason? The short answer is that I'm working with my insurance to
find a surgeon and plastic surgeon that BOTH take my insurance and work
at the same hospital. I am really hoping to have this resolved by the
middle of this week. I may have to switch hospitals for surgery, but I'm
still holding out hope that we can find a resolution that allows me to
stay at St. Marks.
My MRI was on the 8th of August. It was just as
nerve racking as I thought it would be. And to say I'm glad it's over
and done is an under statement! My veins are pretty hammered from chemo
so they IV didn't go too well. While the contrast was being injected my
vein burst, which made for a fun bruise. While the MRI wasn't pleasant
the results from it are INCREDIBLE! The lime size cancer tumor is
completely gone! Which means there was a complete response to the
chemo!! I got to see the results with my own eyes, and it was pretty
cool! They showed me the MRI imaging from March and the one from the
most recent so that I could see the difference. Just because the tumor
is gone doesn't mean there aren't some single cancer cells left behind,
so there will still be a surgery and radiation.
Last week I met with
my radiation oncologist. It was a very educational meeting that
explained why radiation after surgery is so helpful. Once surgery is
over and I get the green light from the plastic surgeon I'll meet with
the radiation oncologist again to get mapped out with a few very small
tattoo's for treatment. Radiation could begin as soon as a month after
surgery, but it ultimately depends on my healing from surgery. Back in
March I was told I would have 30 treatments of radiation (5 days a week
for 6 weeks), but it looks like it may only be 25 treatments (5 days a
week for 5 weeks). Guess we'll wait and see how it all works out.
My
herceptin treatment was last Friday. My son Bradley was my chemo buddy.
He loves going to my treatments with me. Maybe he should be a medical
oncologist when he grows up...
My port access went very smooth and wasn't uncomfortable at all! Wahoo! That always makes me happy!
I
met with a Doctor that I had never seen before. He's a retired doc that
comes in occasionally to help out. My wait to see him was almost a 30
minute wait. My longest wait to see a Dr. We talked about my finger
nails, which are showing signs of a reaction from taxotere. A couple of
my nail beds are bruised and have fallen off. Not very pretty.
We scheduled my next treatment and my next echo cardiogram.
Here are the results from my visit:
My weight was 142
White blood count: 3, normal is between 4.2-10.5
Red blood count: 2.98, normal is between 4.04-5.48
Hematocrit- 30.9%, normal is between 38-48
Platelet count- 101, normal is between 140-450
The
herceptin treatment is much quicker than the original chemo
appointments! And there are no nasty side effects! This past weekend I
felt great!
My next treatment will be September 16th at 8:50am. I
will need a driver to this appointment because I will not be able to
drive after surgery for about a month. A driver has already been found
for this chemo.
My next echo cardiogram is on September 23rd at 10am
(Aundrea's birthday!!) I have already lined up a driver for this
appointment as well. I will have an echo cardiogram every 3 months, so
the next one would be the end of December.
Thank you for
continuing to pray for me! My journey is not complete! I'm excited that
the hard chemo's are done! That's a big relief! I know there are still
hard days to come, but with all the love and support I continue to
receive I know I'll get through it! Thank you for loving me and
strengthening me! I love you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment